James L. Nowlin
James L. Nowlin Profile:
A Texas Board Certified family law specialist, James L. Nowlin (Jim) has devoted his career to helping clients protect their rights and care for the legal needs of their families. A presence in Bexar County courtrooms for over thirty years, Jim has seen nearly every type of divorce case, and regularly handles complex custody and property division matters.
Jim was raised in the small Texas town of Devine, the youngest of five children in a ranching family. He completed his Bachelor of Arts degree in English and History, magna cum laude, at St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, and went on to earn his Juris Doctor from St. Mary’s School of Law. Jim is a proud member of the San Antonio Family Lawyers Association, the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, and past president of the Family Law Section of the San Antonio Bar Association.
A devoted history buff, Jim is especially fond of the English Plantagenet Period and of American World War II and Confederate War facts. He collects political buttons as a hobby. Jim also loves music; he collects old 45s for his juke box, and plays his six vintage guitars whenever he gets the chance. Other favorite collections are his metal lunchboxes, Star Trek figures, and old comic books. When not practicing law in San Antonio, he loves to spend time at the family ranch in Frio County, at the beach in Port Aransas, and in the Las Vegas casinos. Jim has been married to his wife, Sue, for 35 years; they have a son who works in the health insurance industry and and a daughter who is an associate attorney with the firm.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas, Juris Doctor
- St. Mary’s University of San Antonio, Bachelor of Arts in English and History, magna cum laude
Admission to the State Bar
- Texas, 1980
- Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1993
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- San Antonio Bar Association, 1996 – 1997, Member, District Courts Committee
- San Antonio Bar Association, 1998 – 1999, Member, District Courts Committee
- San Antonio Bar Association Family Law Section, 1997 – 1998, Treasurer
- San Antonio Bar Association Family Law Section, 1998 – 1999, Secretary
- San Antonio Bar Association Family Law Section, 1999 – 2000, President
- State Bar of Texas, 1999 -2009, Member, District 10 Subcommittee of the Unauthorized Practice of Law
- San Antonio Family Lawyers Association, Member
- Texas Academy of Law Specialists, Member
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Fellow
- Phi Alpha Delta